WCCP talk..

lincoln dale ltd at interlink.com.au
Tue Nov 10 17:10:36 UTC 1998

At 03:44 PM 11/9/98 -0500, alex at nac.net wrote:
>My question is, what prevents a cache from seding a WCCP frame saying,
>"Hey, I'm alive" when it really isn't?

the application itself (layer 7) is most likely to know more about whether
the application is alive and working than anything else.

>Is there a way for the router to check the cache in the opposite
>direction? Seems odd that your would rely on the cache to verify that the
>cache is OK.

i believe WCCP is more a heartbeat mechanism - the router will age WCCP
'hello' packets and expire them.  presumably if it doesn't hear one of the
cache engines 'check in', it'll stop forwarding traffic to it.

cheers,

lincoln.