ARIN?

Greg A. Woods woods at most.weird.com
Mon Nov 9 18:43:53 UTC 1998

[ On Sun, November 8, 1998 at 23:23:01 (-0500), Jon Lewis wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: ARIN?
>
> On Sat, 7 Nov 1998, Roeland M.J. Meyer wrote:
>
> > What this means is that ARIN is restricting the DNS management. If you have
> > less than a /29 then you are not allowed to manage your own domain-space
> > without a handler. That handler is the ISP. To be honest, most of our /29's
> > are too clueless to handle DNS, in fact most of them are Microsoft-only
>
> Just the /29 users?  DNS is irrelevant.  ARIN only watches over IPv4
> address space utilization.  OK...they also handle in-addr.arpa delegations
> for the space they look after, but the fact that they don't want swips of
> /29 or longer prefixes has nothing to do with who can manage DNS.

It seems ARIN won't publish IN-ADDR.ARPA delegations smaller than /16
these days yet there are many legacy blocks within their control which
are no longer managed by the ISPs they are delgated to.  Some ISPs are
forced to manage IN-ADDR.ARPA space (i.e. they must offer secondary DNS
services) for /24s they have no other dealings with.  Although in theory
one might imagine this would balance out, in practice it does not.  In
practice it even breaks down when some such ISPs refuse to secondary /24
IN-ADDR.ARPA zones for networks they no longer route.

If all the backbone operators were to run separate IN-ADDR.ARPA servers
(i.e. separate from the current set of DNS root servers) then there
would be no valid technical objection to directly delegating every
assigned /24 or larger network from those servers.

There should also be no objection for listing all assigned /30 networks.
I'm not talking about dial-up users -- but fully routed dedicated
customers using only a /30 or more.  I *WANT* to see these networks in
whois lookups!  These listings should be *required*.

RWhois would be great if it worked in practice, but as yet it doesn't.
Too many claimed rwhois servers don't even exist.

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods at acm.org>      <robohack!woods>
Planix, Inc. <woods at planix.com>; Secrets of the Weird <woods at weird.com>