ARIN?

Roeland M.J. Meyer rmeyer at mhsc.com
Mon Nov 9 18:27:35 UTC 1998

At 11:37 PM 11/8/98 -0500, Steven J. Sobol wrote:
>On Sun, Nov 08, 1998 at 07:01:13PM -0500, Kim Hubbard wrote:
>
>> By asking you not to SWIP assignments longer than /29 ARIN is not
>> encouraging you to not issue them, we just don't think it's necessary
>> to have every single dialup user listed in WHOIS.
>
>I have to agree with Kim. That's why I shuddered when I thought of
>every single static IP address at every ISP being SWIP'd. It would increase
>ARIN's database exponentially and is not necessary.

So it goes from a few hundred MB's to a few GBs? What's the big deal. Given
a trivial CustomerDB, in an RDBMS, it's still under 100 GB for a few
million IPs. 150 GB of RAID5 is still less than $30KUS and dropping daily,
even on HP (High Priced <grin>) equipment.
Roeland M.J. Meyer, ISOC (InterNIC RM993)
e-mail: <mailto:rmeyer at mhsc.com>rmeyer at mhsc.com
Internet phone: hawk.mhsc.com
Personal web pages: <http://www.mhsc.com/~rmeyer>www.mhsc.com/~rmeyer
Company web-site: <http://www.mhsc.com/>www.mhsc.com/