ARIN?

Roeland M.J. Meyer rmeyer at mhsc.com
Mon Nov 9 09:27:09 UTC 1998

At 11:23 PM 11/8/98 -0500, Jon Lewis wrote:
>On Sat, 7 Nov 1998, Roeland M.J. Meyer wrote:
>
>> What this means is that ARIN is restricting the DNS management. If you have
>> less than a /29 then you are not allowed to manage your own domain-space
>> without a handler. That handler is the ISP. To be honest, most of our /29's
>> are too clueless to handle DNS, in fact most of them are Microsoft-only
>
>Just the /29 users?  DNS is irrelevant.  ARIN only watches over IPv4
>address space utilization.  OK...they also handle in-addr.arpa delegations
>for the space they look after, but the fact that they don't want swips of
>/29 or longer prefixes has nothing to do with who can manage DNS.

If you are not handling your own in-addr.arpa then you are not fully
managing your own DNS name space. In *many* cases, if the reverse does not
match the forward reference then access will be denied.

Roeland M.J. Meyer, ISOC (InterNIC RM993)
e-mail: <mailto:rmeyer at mhsc.com>rmeyer at mhsc.com
Internet phone: hawk.mhsc.com
Personal web pages: <http://www.mhsc.com/~rmeyer>www.mhsc.com/~rmeyer
Company web-site: <http://www.mhsc.com/>www.mhsc.com/