UUNet outage

Jon Lewis jlewis at inorganic5.fdt.net
Sun Nov 8 19:31:56 UTC 1998

On Sun, 8 Nov 1998, Joe  Shaw wrote:

> UUNet is currently experiencing a major routing outage and they have
> senior backbone engineers working on it.  I thought it was funny that it
> wasn't in the recorded list of known network outages yet it's still an
> outage that they know about.  Jeez.

They're usually quite slow updating the phone recordings.  That was one of
my major complaints back when I was a customer.  Why should I sit on hold
for 10 minutes waiting to talk to an overworked first level mouth breather
when I could have found out in about a minute that we lost connectivity to
the net because "something happened" to their whole network, and they're
working on it.

Anyway...I bet this outage has something to do with my gated box going
wild.  I just noticed the gated box I feed full routes to for the heck of
it was receiving lots of traffic on our MRTG graphs and was rotating
gated.trace files every few seconds!  This began at about 11:30am EST.
On our Cisco, things aren't looking good:

BGP table version is 7063381, main routing table version 7063381
60429 network entries (220683/289425 paths) using 16262796 bytes of memory
28399 BGP path attribute entries using 4064016 bytes of memory
45502 BGP route-map cache entries using 728032 bytes of memory
0 BGP filter-list cache entries using 0 bytes of memory
Dampening enabled. 1466 history paths, 11347 dampened paths
111002 received paths for inbound soft reconfiguration

It looks like roughly 10% of the net is dampened.

---dont't waste your cpu, crack rc5...www.distributed.net team enzo---
 Jon Lewis <jlewis at fdt.net>  |  Spammers will be winnuked or
 Network Administrator       |  nestea'd...whatever it takes
 Florida Digital Turnpike    |  to get the job done.
______http://inorganic5.fdt.net/~jlewis/pgp for PGP public key________