ARIN?

Roeland M.J. Meyer rmeyer at mhsc.com
Sun Nov 8 07:01:14 UTC 1998

At 12:35 AM 11/8/98 -0500, Adam Rothschild wrote:
>> > The need for static IP comes from them wanting to run their own
web-server.

>> 	Not necessarily.  I asked an ISP for a static IP for security
>> reasons. ("Trusted hosts" and stuff like that there)
>
>Yah, point well taken.
>
>Besides, AFAIK, @Home AUP expressly forbids users from offering web and
>ftp services of any sort off their boxen.

Unless they're doing contiuous port scans on all their IPs, they'll never
know. Besides, there's always the IP equivalent of dial-back <grin>.

>Of course, that's not to say that there are not pseudo-31337 w4r3z-kiddi3z
>out there who do so anyways...8-)

As I said <grin>

@HOME's business/operations model is NOT one I particularly like. Folks
should be free to run home servers. I'm thinking more along the lines of
"smart house" which has to have a server. A "smart house" could never exist
on the @home network. It's almost as bad as AOL. It stifles innovation.

Roeland M.J. Meyer, ISOC (InterNIC RM993)
e-mail: <mailto:rmeyer at mhsc.com>rmeyer at mhsc.com
Internet phone: hawk.mhsc.com
Personal web pages: <http://www.mhsc.com/~rmeyer>www.mhsc.com/~rmeyer
Company web-site: <http://www.mhsc.com/>www.mhsc.com/