ARIN?

Phil Howard phil at whistler.intur.net
Sat Nov 7 17:36:49 UTC 1998

Gary E. Miller wrote:

> My local cable company, Bend Cable, gives out static IP with RoadRunner
> service.
>
> I also know several folks on @Home in Fremont, CA, that have static
> IP addresses.

Our dedicated accounts get static, as I am sure is the case with most ISPs.
Non-dedicated can get static only for a fee.  The rate structure starts at
$8 for a /32 and goes up to about 25% above the ARIN fee for address space.
The customer must also assert why they need it.

I just wish I could swip the /30's, /31's, and /32's we give out, to ARIN.
We're putting in more NAT and proxy boxes for businesses and are doing more
networks smaller than /29 these days.  Yet ARIN still encourages us to use
a /29 when a /32 would do.  I'll probably swip the /29 containing them as
just a commentary saying something like "contains /32 assignments" when I
get my network database going.

--
  --   | Inturnet, Inc.              | Director of Internet Services |   --