ARIN?

Brandon Ross bross at mindspring.net
Fri Nov 6 00:14:26 UTC 1998

On Thu, 5 Nov 1998, Jason Weisberger wrote:

> You know, I've got the same problem. I've been trying to think of a way to
> deal with one of my locations slower growth, yet higher profile customers.
> I want them to be able to route independantly should the links all go out
> between it and my other locales, but it doesn't grow fast enough to keep
> up with the others and I can't manage to get it into its own /19 without
> having to seal from its block as the time draws near to beg ARIN for more
> space.

Well, like others have mentioned, there are ways around this, even if they
are a bit sub-optimal.  As long as you have at least a /19 total, and you
use the same upstream provider(s) in all of the POPs that this /19 is used
in, you can announce the specifics for each pop along with the /19 in each
of those POPs.  This will accomplish several things for you.  First of
all, like you said, if you lose all internal connectivity from any of
those POPs, but you still have at least 1 upstream, all of your traffic
will still get to you by following the more specific route.  Since the /19
is still being announced, those backbones that filter longer masks will
still send the traffic to your upstream(s) who will have the more specific
routes in their tables and send the traffic in the right direction.

This method, of course, is a bit unfriendly since you're making more
announcements than you would be otherwise.

Brandon Ross            Network Engineering     404-815-0770 800-719-4664
Director, Network Engineering, MindSpring Ent., Inc.  info at mindspring.com
                                                            ICQ:  2269442

Stop Smurf attacks!  Configure your router interfaces to block directed
broadcasts. See http://www.quadrunner.com/~chuegen/smurf.cgi for details.