ARIN?

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Thu Nov 5 10:38:20 UTC 1998

Yo Patrick!

On Thu, 5 Nov 1998, I Am Not An Isp wrote:

> I do believe you are correct in your implication that @Home does not
> utilize address space quite as efficiently as most traditional ISPs.
> However, they are under a greater burden than your traditional ISP.  Most
> of the equipment they were forced to use in the "early days", and possibly
> a good deal of it today, is not what I would call "optimal".  They are
> forced to allocate /24s to some cable routers no matter how few customers
> there are on that router.  Most do not understand classless IP, or even
> basic subnetting.  Etc., etc.
If I downgrade my routers, do you think I can use this on my next
ARIN application?   I would have been embarrased to try it even
when they got their address space.

> The point is, the people I know at @Home do try very hard to use their IP
> space within reason.  But there are some things they just can not do.
I have no complaint with the people, I am just jealous.

BTW, their October 13, 1998 press release says they have 210K users.
Their /8 has 16,777,216 IP addresses give or take a few hundred
thousand.  Not a bad packing ratio...

RGDS
GARY