FCC Ruling, Cost of Internet

Peter Stemwedel pstemwedel at interaccess.com
Wed Nov 4 00:41:34 UTC 1998

Actually, what the FCC stated was that this tariff was filed properly as
the DSL lines are an extension of GTE's inter-LATA frame network.  Seems
pretty dubious to me, although it's not the whole Internet as long distance
thing which I was afraid of at first.  Apparently there's to be yet another
FCC statement on either access fees or reciprocal comp (I cant remember
which but I think it's the latter) by the end of the week.  Those RBOCs
must have a bunch of lobbyist hanging out at the FCC.

 At 06:22 PM 11/3/98 -0500, Steven J. Sobol wrote:
>An Internet dialup call is an interstate call if you're in one state
>dialing into a POP in another. Otherwise it's not. Duh.
>
>The FCC has much better things to do than debate a point for which the
>answer is painfully obvious. If you're going to tell me that when I dial
>up to my account in downtown Cleveland from my house ten minutes away, I'm
>going to either laugh at you, tell you you're a flaming idiot, or quite
>possibly both.
>
>Sorry. My ISDN line at home is serviced by Ameritech, and NACS's PRIs are
>serviced by ICG/Netcom. Maybe I should get charged for a call from Chicago
>to Denver since Ameritech is headquaratered in Chicago and ICG is in Denver,
>even though I'm calling from Cleveland to Cleveland.
>
>If there's something obvious that I'm missing here, please, PLEASE point it
>out to me...
>
>Oh yeah. Are they going to insist on charging per-minute for voice calls
>as well as data calls? I bet not.
>

>--
>Steve Sobol [sjsobol at nacs.net]
>Part-time Support Droid [support at nacs.net]
>NACS Spaminator [abuse at nacs.net]
>
>Spotted on a bumper sticker: "Possum. The other white meat."

Peter Stemwedel
Network Engineer
InterAccess Co.		petes at interaccess.com
168 N. Clinton	(312) 496-4694 Office