time for a new list?

Andrea Di Lecce slinky at rogerswave.ca
Wed Nov 4 01:00:13 UTC 1998

At 00:12 11/3/98 -0500, you wrote:
>    I have been reading this list for a while now, and for the most part,
>just sitting back reading posts that interest me.  I appreciate the early
>heads up on outages, new info on networking technology and the like.
>However, I do believe that moderating or "policing" the list would be a good
>idea.

Instead of a pure moderation, where every post must be approved either
manually or by sender, why not have a few people who are well-versed on the
FAQ, gently reminding those that step too far away from it ?  Suspension of
posting privileges can be an option, if absolutely necessary.

>    As for a subscription requirement, that may be a little difficult as the
>"good" information that passes through this list, is interesting to a great
>deal of people that may not fit into the subscription group.  It wouldn't be
>fair to have them be denied from the right to see what is going on, however
>a posting credentials requirement might be a good idea, but then again who
>would enforce this, and what would the requirements be?

A written, time-limited IQ test !? :)