time for a new list?

Steven J. Sobol sjsobol at nacs.net
Tue Nov 3 23:14:44 UTC 1998

On Mon, Nov 02, 1998 at 11:57:18PM -0700, Forrest W. Christian wrote:
> The problem I see is that there doesn't seem to be any real concensus on
> what is a valid point of discussion on the list.

For me, outages are a useful topic of discussion. Since I'm not involved
in the management of backbones or WAN's, some discussion threads related
to that type of issue are not interesting to me. I do take interest in
the discussion of routing protocols, since I find a lot of the routing
discussions to be educational.

But there are many others who disagree with me.

> There seems to be some (randy?) that basically feel that if you can't
> configure a router to do it it doesn't belong here...  Meaning that this
> forum should be primarily about technical operation issues.

Yes. "Operational" is a word used a lot to describe the type of post that
belongs here.

> On the other hand, there are those among us that when the subject of
> router configuration comes up, usually in the context of the right way(tm)
> to do BGP configuration, they yell and scream that this doesn't belong
> here it should be elsewhere.

Of course, then you hear complaints about people announcing routes they
shouldn't be, etc, etc. Well, is there a mailing list for the discussion of
the proper way to set up BGP? If not, it could be argued that some of the
discussions you mention belong here.

--
Steve Sobol [sjsobol at nacs.net]
Part-time Support Droid [support at nacs.net]

Spotted on a bumper sticker: "Possum. The other white meat."