[rootshell] Security Bulletin #25

Roeland M.J. Meyer rmeyer at mhsc.com
Tue Nov 3 22:41:41 UTC 1998

I just got this. MHSC is also on the SSH mailer-list. It looks as if ALL
accusations of SSH being exploitable are thinly founded at best.

>Date: Mon, 2 Nov 1998 11:45:53 +0200 (EET)
>From: Tatu Ylonen <ylo at ssh.fi>
>To: ssh at clinet.fi, info at rootshell.com
>Subject: Important information about IBM-ERS's "ssh" advisory (fwd)
>Sender: owner-ssh at clinet.fi
>
>Please find enclosed a copy of a message from the IBM Emergency response
>team.
>
>    Tatu
>
>SSH Communications Security           http://www.ssh.fi/
>SSH IPSEC Toolkit                     http://www.ipsec.com/
>Free Unix SSH                         http://www.ssh.fi/sshprotocols2/

and then found this.

>To: runge at crl.com
>CC: ssh at clinet.fi
>Subject: Re: ssh 1.2.26 and root compromise
>Sender: owner-ssh at clinet.fi
>
>Karl J. Runge wrote:
>
>> Maybe. I see about 125 calls to log_msg() in the ssh 1.2.x source code.
>> Does anyone see one (or more?) calls that might be passing unprotected
>> strings? I assume the unlimited %s are the place to start...
>> [info: IBM's announcement points us to log_msg() as the source
>> of the buffer overrun, but does not say which one. See rootshell
>> statement which has the IBM announcement]
>>
>> I doubt the logging of "log_msg" has to do with the use of the word
>> "log", but the IBM announcement is dated 10/30 ... (I just saw it today
>> for the first time).
>
>The IBM advisory was cancelled within 24 hours. The appearent buffer
>overflow IBM found was not reproducable on any other systems, and
>appearently was due to some local problem with the Linux installation on
>one particular machine. See
>
>http://www.ers.ibm.com/tech-info/advisories/sva/1998/ERS-SVA-E01-1998:005.1
.txt,

>http://www.ssh/fi/sshprotocols2/rootshell.html and
>
>http://www.rootshell.com/
>
>Personally, I am very disappointed with rootshell's unprofessional
>handling of that incident. Their continuing stubborn insistance - in
>spite of all contrary evidence - that something other than their
>security policy must be at fault fatally resembles the worst exemples
>I've ever seen in corporate IT security.
>
>Sevo
>

>--
>Sevo Stille
>sevo at inm.de

Roeland M.J. Meyer, ISOC (InterNIC RM993)
e-mail: <mailto:rmeyer at mhsc.com>rmeyer at mhsc.com
Internet phone: hawk.mhsc.com
Personal web pages: <http://www.mhsc.com/~rmeyer>www.mhsc.com/~rmeyer
Company web-site: <http://www.mhsc.com/>www.mhsc.com/