time for a new list?

Dave Crocker dcrocker at brandenburg.com
Tue Nov 3 08:10:53 UTC 1998

At 09:01 PM 11/2/98 -0600, Joe  Shaw wrote:

>I think moderating the group might not be such a bad idea.  The only
>problem with this would be getting someone who had enough time to actually

The constrained-posting approach might solve the dis-satisfactions that
triggered this thread.  However, let me suggest two, other approaches to
consider.

1.  This was pioneered by Harald Alvestrand, for the IETF main list, and
seems to be quite successful.

The premise to his approach is to run an unofficial, subsidiary list, off
of the main, official one.  On its face, it is just a distributor of the
main list.  Why subscribe to it?  Well, the value-add is that he has
filters in place, according to whatever rules he feels appropriate.  What
he feels appropriate, for the IETF list, is to filter out the common
sources of "noise".

Those subscribed to it seem satisfied with the results.

The nice things about this approach are that 1) it doesn't create the
massive burden that moderating does, and 2) it maintain utterly open
participation for the official list and, therefore, doesn't run afoul of
the usual expectations and requirements for open access to the official list.

2.  This was pioneered by the "ORSC" folks who are active with the IANA
re-working.  I'm not happy with they way they are running their list, but
the idea they are using strikes me as quite good:  Create rules for
acceptable conduct on the list.  Create an arbitration panel to pass
judgement when someone is claimed to violate those rules.  When someone
exceeds the limits in the rules, such as 3 rules violations, they can be
banned from the list.

d/

Dave Crocker                                       Tel: +60 (19) 3299 445
<mailto:dcrocker at brandenburg.com>             Post Office Box 296, U.P.M.
                                         Serdang, Selangor 43400 MALAYSIA
Brandenburg Consulting
<http://www.brandenburg.com>                       Tel: +1 (408) 246 8253
Fax: +1(408)273 6464              675 Spruce Dr., Sunnyvale, CA 94086 USA