2U chassis (was Linux Router Kit)

Dan Boehlke dboehlke at mr.net
Sun Nov 1 05:21:04 UTC 1998

On Sat, 31 Oct 1998, Chris Josephes wrote:

> On Sat, 31 Oct 1998, Geoff White wrote:
>

> > We are trying to roll our own server/router/accounting box and
> > have everything speced out but the chassis, we need to find a PC rack
> > mount chassis that is no higher than 2U ( 3.5"). The co-los we use charge
> > us not only by bandwidth but by real estate, we need to cram as many boxes
> > as we can in the space. In fact if you know of a 1U (like the cobalt
> > boxes) that would be even better. Any clues would be greatly appreciated.
>
> This may not help for a single server, but if you're need multiple boxes,
> what about using Crystal PCs.  They're 4-5 U, but you can fit two or four
> of them on the same mounting shelf depending on the model.

In addition to their compact size, they also have alarm pannels for fans,
etc and an output to be hooked to an alarm system.  They also have an
option for -48v power.  The hight allows the use of standard size cards.
See:

	http://www.crystalpc.com/

It is common to see a Crystal ad in telecommunications magazines.

--
Dan Boehlke, Senior Network Engineer                          M R N e t
Internet:  dboehlke at mr.net                       A MEANS Telcom Company