different thinking on exchanging traffic

Steve Sobol sjsobol at shell.nacs.net
Sat May 30 03:31:27 UTC 1998

On Sat, May 23, 1998 at 04:50:52PM -0700, Tom Perrine wrote:

> Currently there are at least 60 ISPs serving the San Diego county
> area.  There are LOTS of packets from "home" to "office" that make a
> round-trip via MAE-West.  Some people have decided that this is
> silly.  Even if it is "cost-effective", it *squanders* bandwidth at
> MAE-West that could best be used for other traffic.
>
> I wonder how much bandwidth at the MAEs could be saved if more areas
> built local low-cost NAPs just for local traffice exchanges?

I think there's a lot of merit to this proposal. When I first signed on with
a local Internet provider, the owner explained to me that GEOGRAPHIC
proximity does not always equal INTERNET proximity. Back then (1991-92)
there was not a lot of infrastructure, so often that couldn't be helped. It's
quite different now, though.

--
Steven J. Sobol - Founding Member, Postmaster/Webmaster, ISP Liaison --
Forum for Responsible & Ethical E-mail (FREE) - Dedicated to education about,