Why does Sprint have address filters again?

Jamie Scheinblum jamie at fast.net
Sun May 31 20:39:30 UTC 1998

The last CIDR report I have in my in-box states there are 3606 AS numbers in
the routing table.  So, my first question is at what point does ARIN reclaim
AS numbers?

(comparison: 2680 last September and 3075 at the beginning of the year)

That's a lot of money Arin rakes in on un-used AS numbers.

I understand that ARIN probably doesn't want to get in the middle of routing
policies, but by limiting when you can receive an AS, I don't understand why
they couldn't limit when you lose it.

Second Q: How many AS numbers are available in total?

Best regards,

Jamie Scheinblum - FASTNET(tm) / You Tools Corporation
jamie at fast.net (888)321-FAST(3278) http://www.fast.net
FASTNET - Business and Personal Internet Solutions

The views stated above are mine and do not reflect those
of my employer.