Why does Sprint have address filters again?

Karl Denninger karl at mcs.net
Sun May 31 18:45:23 UTC 1998

On Sat, May 30, 1998 at 11:38:39PM -0400, Kim Hubbard wrote:
> Alex wrote:
> > Kim wrote:
> > > The ARIN policies have not changed since InterNIC, nor have the basic
> > > questions we ask on utilization.
> >
> > Maybe from your prospective, when you have the policy book in your hand or
> > memorized. But, things are way different from ours (and I am sure others).

Uh, they had better have changed or the AC work which was previously done
was ignored (if THAT is the case, the web site is wrong and ARIN is not
following the recommendations that they claim were approved and are
currently out there as existing practice)

> There were very specific reasons why we asked you the questions we did,
> however, I think it's best if we discuss this one on one.  Feel free
> to call me or email me and I will be happy to discuss your particular
> request.

If those very specific reasons go beyond the requirements specified on the
ARIN web page for ISP initial assignments, then I would expect NAC.NET (or
anyone else) to refuse to comply, as those demands exceed ARIN's announced
policies.

If they do NOT go beyond those requirements, then there is nothing privileged
about discussing the issue out in the open, assuming NAC.NET wishes to do so
(and I encourage them to do so).

This is the beauty of published, objective criteria - either you meet it
or you do not.

Karl Denninger (karl at MCS.Net)| MCSNet - Serving Chicagoland and Wisconsin
http://www.mcs.net/          | T1's from $600 monthly / All Lines K56Flex/DOV