Why does Sprint have address filters again?

Sean Donelan SEAN at SDG.DRA.COM
Sat May 30 17:59:27 UTC 1998

>5. One is financed by the government out of your taxes and is merely an
>accounting formality much like a customer ID number. The other is funded
>by a corporation that has no government funding and must support itself
>not unlike most businesses and the number is a critical infrastructure
>identifier something like an NPA-NXX.

Technically, the USF is an industry-funded fund (sic? redundant). The SLC
is an independent not-for-profit entity (gosh sounds like ARIN).  The
Universal Service Administrative Company, a subsidary of NECA collects
the USF fees and distributes them to the various funds. The money does
not come from the US Treasury, nor even 'taxpayers.'  The USF money comes
from subscribers of interstate telecommunications services, much like the
money for ARIN comes from the subscribers of IP addresses and AS numbers.

I couldn't find a budget on the ARIN website; but I wouldn't be pointing
to the SLC as an example of a well-run organization.  Even ARIN at its
worst doesn't match the SLC for insanity.  (Yes, Kim that was a compliment).
Maybe if the president of ARIN was paid $300,000/year like the president
of the SLC, things would be different.