Why does Sprint have address filters again?

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at priori.net
Fri May 29 21:07:51 UTC 1998

At 07:32 AM 5/29/98 -0500, Karl Denninger wrote:
>On Fri, May 29, 1998 at 12:07:01AM -0400, Avi Freedman wrote:

>> As a general idea, I don't have a problem with having some resistor
>> to demand for AS numbers, but $500 probably isn't much of a resistor.
>>
>> But clearly it can take $100 or $200 of time to evaluate a request,
>> trace topology, and/or verify with the future upstreams the validity.
>>
>> Avi
>
>It requires $100 worth of someone's time to make two phone calls and/or read
>two signed service agreements?
>
>Perhaps if ARIN is paying their people $100/hour, yes.
>
>(This is a CLERK's job)

Now, I am far from ARIN's biggest fan, but I think Avi's estimate is
reasonable.  I've see lots of companies trying to hold down costs and it
still takes over $100 to handle 30 to 60 minutes of paperwork.  Remember
the overhead of office space, insurance, etc., etc.  Plus it takes more
than 5 minutes to actually do something like this.  Plus lots of other
administrative details, etc.  Five hundred may be high, might not, but it
is definitely close to reasonable.

>If you want a SECOND one for administrative convenience or whatever, now for
>THAT I can see charging a significant fee.  Why?  Because its not *necessary*
>for you to have a second one.  You might WANT a second ASN, you might in
>fact want several of them for policy routing reasons, but that's not the
>same thing as a NEED for a second (or subsequent) ASN.

Hrmmmmm....  I think this could be a very good idea.  There are lots of
arguments on both sides, but I think that if you are so large you need two
(or more) ASNs - globally unique ASNs - you should probably bear a larger
portion of the burden of running ARIN.  I mean, if you were really good,
couldn't you just use the private ASNs and confederations or something?

>Karl Denninger (karl at MCS.Net)| MCSNet - Serving Chicagoland and Wisconsin

TTFN,
patrick

Patrick W. Gilmore                      voice: +1-650-482-2840
Director of Operations, CCIE #2983        fax: +1-650-482-2844
PRIORI NETWORKS, INC.                    http://www.priori.net
              "Tomorrow's Performance.... Today"