flat vs non-flat charging

Kent W. England kwe at geo.net
Fri May 29 19:01:15 UTC 1998

Jerry Scharf <scharf at vix.com> wrote:
>I think the idea of distance charging is going away in many cases. ...
>Using archaic telephone pricing models to argue cost of providing bulk IP
>services is just not right.

I agree that using the regulated telephone network for Internet pricing
doesn't make sense, but there is a difference developing on the Net between
locally cached data and data that has to be fetched from a distance. I would
not be surprised to find differential pricing being used to incent browsers
to re-use locally cached data whenever possible.

--Kent