The Great Exchange

Perry E. Metzger perry at piermont.com
Fri May 29 18:07:50 UTC 1998

Tim Pozar writes:
> Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> > Michael Shields writes:
> > > Despite preductions, very few resources have ever actually become "too
> > > cheap to meter".
> >
> > Television?
>
> I assume you are refering to over the air broadcast service.  You pay for
> every kilowatt and employee salary by buying the products that advertise
> on the station.

Naturally. That is not the point, however. The point was that no one
bothers to meter the service -- it is paid for in other ways.

Anyway, this discussion has been taken way too far. Mr. Shields
believes that distance based packet accounting is "fair" and that it
is somehow going to happen. I believe that it is unlikely in the
extreme. Time will tell which of us is right.

Perry