AUTORESPONDERS

James Rishaw jamie at dilbert.ais.net
Fri May 29 15:53:06 UTC 1998

OK..

  People need to learn how to use autoresponders for nanog e-mail.

  I received three replies to my last post saying "I'll be out of the office".

  If this were my list, those people with less than a quarter clue (as
ass-u-med in my last post) would have earned themselves auto unsubscribes.

  Please.. Please people :)  If you're going to set up autoresponders, take
appropriate measures to make sure your listmail doesnt get replied to.

Here's a procmailrc for those who cant figure it out.  Please, change
"jamie" to "youremailaddress". :-p

:0 h c
* !^FROM_DAEMON
* ^TO(jamie@)
| (formail -r -A"Precedence: junk (autoreply)" \
       -A"X-Loop: jamie" ; \
       cat $HOME/.autoreply) | $SENDMAIL -t

and then I have "~/.autoreply" with the body of what I want to reply with.

Then again, if you set up an autoreply and don't know how to do it right,
you probably aren't important enough to matter, and you should remove it
anyhow.

Now I go back to my lil' lurk hole.

-jamie

--
jamie rishaw (dal/efnet:gavroche)           American Information Systems, Inc.
     rdm: "Religion is obsolete."   gsr: "By what?"  jgr: "Solaris." (1996)