Cable & Wireless buys MCI Internet

J.D. Falk jdfalk at vix.com
Fri May 29 14:45:23 UTC 1998

On 05/28/98, "Perry E. Metzger" <perry at piermont.com> wrote:

> God, this is all so DERANGED.
>
> MCI is merging with Worldcom. The E.U.'s antitrust people said that
> Worldcom couldn't both own MCI's internet business and UUNet's. The
> result seems understandable.

	It would if MCI was selling off the entire Internet segment
	of the company.  Right now it looks like they're actually
	only selling a tiny chunk (probably the chunk that's got
	"Internet" in the name as opposed to "data services"), so
	it's pretty clearly just a token effort -- but it might
	work, leaving MCI Worldcom free to screw us all over.

	I'm not saying they /will/.  But it's looking like it won't
	be too long until they /can/.

> Naturally, of course, loons decide to interpret this as part of a
> great conspiracy...

	Nah, this is pretty boring as conspiracies go.

--
J.D. Falk                                                    <jdfalk at vix.com>
Vixie Enterprises                                         http://www.vix.com/