Why does Sprint have address filters again?

Karl Denninger karl at mcs.net
Fri May 29 12:32:47 UTC 1998

On Fri, May 29, 1998 at 12:07:01AM -0400, Avi Freedman wrote:
> > Yes, and that's for the entirely time-consuming entering your name and a
> > number in a database (can you say "default nextval()").
> >
> > One has to wonder just where the authority for THAT one comes from.
> >
> > Karl Denninger (karl at MCS.Net)| MCSNet - Serving Chicagoland and Wisconsin
>
> As a general idea, I don't have a problem with having some resistor
> to demand for AS numbers, but $500 probably isn't much of a resistor.
>
> But clearly it can take $100 or $200 of time to evaluate a request,
> trace topology, and/or verify with the future upstreams the validity.
>
> Avi

It requires $100 worth of someone's time to make two phone calls and/or read
two signed service agreements?

Perhaps if ARIN is paying their people $100/hour, yes.

(This is a CLERK's job)

I disagree strongly on the "resistor" argument, at least for the initial
assignment.  Bottom line - if you're announcing networks, you need an ASN.
If you're not, you don't.  Demonstrate that someone is going to allow you
to announce networks, and you get one.

If you want a SECOND one for administrative convenience or whatever, now for
THAT I can see charging a significant fee.  Why?  Because its not *necessary*
for you to have a second one.  You might WANT a second ASN, you might in
fact want several of them for policy routing reasons, but that's not the
same thing as a NEED for a second (or subsequent) ASN.

Karl Denninger (karl at MCS.Net)| MCSNet - Serving Chicagoland and Wisconsin
http://www.mcs.net/          | T1's from $600 monthly / All Lines K56Flex/DOV