PC Bozo's World bites again (CNN, too)

Forrest W. Christian forrestc at iMach.com
Fri May 29 04:58:26 UTC 1998

I just had an interesting thought...

Has anyone done an analysis of how having a smaller MTU affects
slow-start?  It seems to me that a TCP session would come up to speed
about 3 times faster with a mtu of ~500 vs a mtu of ~1500.

BTW, I can confirm that a MTU of ~500 does seem to make problems related
to Flow control problems and noisy line conditions almost go away.  We
tend to not tell our users about the smaller mtu setting, though, but
instead help them to fix their CTS/RTS or line problem.

- Forrest W. Christian (forrestc at imach.com)
iMach, Ltd., P.O. Box 5749, Helena, MT 59604      http://www.imach.com
Solutions for your high-tech problems.                  (406)-442-6648