PROPOSAL #2 - reform of the fee schedule (fwd)

Michael Dillon michael at memra.com
Fri May 29 01:15:33 UTC 1998

On Thu, 28 May 1998, Karl Denninger wrote:

> I would like to ask the AC to direct Kim Hubbard to produce a list of the
> number of allocations in each of the fee categories currently listed, along
> with the documentation required to process each.

I'd love to see all these documents but currently the ARIN folks sign NDAs
and won't let anyone see this stuff, not AC members or BoT members. Before
I deal with this I'd like to get an idea from the members how many of you
would sue me personally if I voted for a proposal to order ARIN employees
to break the NDAs that they signed with your company.

> Would someone please tell me why this isn't a more proper fee strategy?

Because it is based entirely on hypothesis with no hard data to back it
up. The first step is to get the data, second step is to analyze it and
only after the analysis is done can we effectively design a revised
funding scheme for IANA.

I suggest we focus on how to accomplish the first two steps and if too
much of the data is covered by NDAs then I suggest we hire another
ARIN employee with statistical training to go through the data and analyze
it on our behalf while ensuring that confidential member data is not
accidentally outed.

--
Michael Dillon                 -               Internet & ISP Consulting
Memra Communications Inc.      -               E-mail: michael at memra.com