ingress filtering

prue at ISI.EDU prue at ISI.EDU
Thu May 28 22:42:32 UTC 1998

>Who *does* do ingress filtering? I have it on our border routers
>and customer connect ports. We have transit from MCI and UUNET.
>Neither has ingress filters -- see below message from MCI on
>this.

I have dealt with this in a different way.  I have been figuring out
interesting things to do with netflow data for a while now.  I recently
debugged a program which uses a file which has what looks like access
lists associated with particular ports on my 7500's.  The program then
looks at the netflow data and dumps any record which is explicily
denyed or implicitely denyed (implied deny any at end, like Cisco).  It
looks at the source addresses, uses the supplied mask and applies it
only to the interface(s) in question.  So I look at data from our
backbone providers and see if there is any data being sent with my
networks source address ranges.  I look for packets from the backbones
destined for x.x.x.255 to look for smurf type attacks.  I have it
looking at my customers data to make sure that they are only sending
from address ranges that I expect and they aren't spoofing data against
someone else.  The nice thing about this is that it doesn't slow down
the router by causing it to do compares on potentially long access
lists real time while the data is comming in.  I have netflow turned on
and I dump the data to my unix host for the analysis.  My sun workstation
seems to have no problem keeping up with the traffic load.  Since most data
is legitimate, the workstation doesn't need to dump that much data.

For interfaces on my router I have no concern for spoofed data I build
no access lists for the netflow analysis program and it just ignores data
comming in those interfaces.

If I see something particularly henious I can put in an explicit filter
to clobber it, in the router when it hits the router.  Netflow records
are still cut even if I do filter the stuff too.  I can then complain
to my service provider saying kill that spoof attack comming from your
network.  Or to my customers I can tell them cut out that spoof attack
or I'll have to turn your line down.  I can then monitor the progress
to see if it has stopped yet.  Great stuff and all at no extra work to
the router.

If there is enough interest I can write up some documentation on it
and make it available via ftp.  It again is based on the example tools
Cisco built to demonstrate netflow capablities like the last tool I
posted.

Walt Prue
Los Nettos