Why does Sprint have address filters again?

Kim Hubbard kimh at arin.net
Thu May 28 18:58:35 UTC 1998

> On Thu, May 28, 1998 at 10:40:03AM -0400, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> > On Wed, May 27, 1998 at 08:08:57PM -0500, Karl Denninger wrote:
> > [ Karl asks a bunch of cogent questions and then scares the shit out of
> >   me by following up with: ]
> > > [This is a request as an ARIN AC member, who has tried to get a lot of
> > > these kinds of questions answered from officers and trustees of ARIN]
> >
> > Would it be out of line for me to ask why you are having so much
> > difficulty _getting_ answers to these questions that you need to ask
> > them here?  This whole ARIN thing is starting to smell somewhat like the
> > InterNIC does...
>
> ARIN has asserted that individual members (and in fact individual AC members)
> don't have a right to have these types of questions answered.

ARIN has NEVER asserted that members or individuals have no right to
have these types of questions answered.

To my knowledge, neither Karl nor anyone else that I can think of, has asked
ARIN any questions regarding it's involvement in Sprint's decision to
filter prefixes.   If someone is asking now, the answer is that the
registries (ARIN didn't even exist at the time Sprint began filtering)
had no involvement other than to request that Sprint lower their filters
from a /18 to a /19.

Kim Hubbard
ARIN