PC Bozo's World bites again (CNN, too)

Dean Robb pceasy at norfolk.infi.net
Thu May 28 16:19:59 UTC 1998

At 20:15 5/27/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Cut the MTU, get rid of the problem, and the system "seems" faster on the
>Internet.  The reason is that you aren't dropping frames on the floor
>any longer.

Yup.  I got an apparent 12% faster connection and reduced packet loss by
setting my MTU to 576 (using MTUSpeed, a handy little program).

>Does this have anything to do with CTS/RTS and flow control?  Nope.  Its a
>genuine, no-bullshit, honest-to-god probelm in the code that is worked
around
>by doing this.

The official explanation is that W95 (and W98, as far as I can tell) has
packet sizes set to 1500 for Ethernet LAN transmission and uses the same
sizes for Internet TCP/IP connections.  If you're not on an Ethernet,
adjusting the MTU gives you a better 'Net connection.

Spam(tm) is pressed meat.  Spammers should be too.

Dean Robb
PC-Easy
On-site computer services
(757) 495-EASY [3279]