The Great Exchange

Roeland M.J. Meyer rmeyer at mhsc.com
Thu May 28 14:55:17 UTC 1998

At 01:44 PM 5/27/98 -0400, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

>"Pickett, David" writes:
>> 1) More needs to be done to leverage locality of traffic
>
>In the long run, why are we assuming there will be locality of
>traffic?
>
>It is true that the old PSTN has locality of traffic, but it doesn't
>have flat rate pricing, or the usage patterns that the Internet has. I
>argue that users are rarely more likely to be trying to download a web
>page from near to their homes than from far away. If there is
>locality, it is probably weak, and in the long run would only account
>for a fraction of the traffic.

You seems to be ignoring the single largest cause of rtaffic, e-mail. There
is plenty of locality there.
Roeland M.J. Meyer, ISOC (InterNIC RM993)
e-mail: <mailto:rmeyer at mhsc.com>rmeyer at mhsc.com
Internet phone: hawk.mhsc.com
Personal web pages: <http://www.mhsc.com/~rmeyer>www.mhsc.com/~rmeyer
Company web-site: <http://www.mhsc.com/>www.mhsc.com/