The Great Exchange

Jay R. Ashworth jra at scfn.thpl.lib.fl.us
Thu May 28 14:05:40 UTC 1998

On Wed, May 27, 1998 at 04:55:46PM -0400, Scott Huddle wrote:
> This is all WAG, tho.  I'll argue that you can never measure this
> accurately from the network (how much traffic did you *not* count?,
> how much traffic was delivered on campus?  is the site multihomed?),
> you have to measure it from the edge.
>
> To really test this you need sampling from the users, ala the Nielson
> method and knowledge of geography for IP addresses.  Market opportunity
> anyone?

The problem there, as I at least alluded to in my previous posting is that,
unless you already _have_ the local exchange, there's no was at the
edge router level to log the "local" traffic vs the "remote" traffic --
you could only do it in a local exchange environment by virtue of the
fact that theexchange existed in the first palce, to give the locals a
place to exchange routing info.

Cheers,
-- jra
The Suncoast Freenet      "Two words: Darth Doogie."  -- Jason Colby,
Tampa Bay, Florida             on alt.fan.heinlein             +1 813 790 7592

Managing Editor, Top Of The Key sports e-zine ------------ http://www.totk.com