PC Bozo's World bites again (CNN, too)

Matthew Marlowe mmarlowe at methodfive.com
Thu May 28 00:00:06 UTC 1998

This is hardly an operational issue.

That said, I think CNN messed up their explanation rather
than giving wrong advice.

Some of the original RFCs for SLIP and PPP, as well as
Stevens in TCP/IP Illustrated Volume I, pointed out
that lower mtu's on dialup lines could significantly
improve latency for interactive traffic while having
only a small efficiency loss for data intensive traffic.

The key was that you didn't want small high-priority packets
to be waiting in a queue while larger full-size mtu packets
were being sent.

Matt