The Great Exchange

Perry E. Metzger perry at piermont.com
Wed May 27 17:44:08 UTC 1998

"Pickett, David" writes:
> 1) More needs to be done to leverage locality of traffic

In the long run, why are we assuming there will be locality of
traffic?

It is true that the old PSTN has locality of traffic, but it doesn't
have flat rate pricing, or the usage patterns that the Internet has. I
argue that users are rarely more likely to be trying to download a web
page from near to their homes than from far away. If there is
locality, it is probably weak, and in the long run would only account
for a fraction of the traffic.

Perry