different thinking on exchanging traffic

Bob Aiken aiken at er.doe.gov
Wed May 27 14:01:08 UTC 1998

Tim

Actually - the idea of the NAPs (as defined in 1992) was an evolutionary
idea from the FIXs. MAE-East was the 1st prototype NAP.  But even during
the discussion of NAPS in 1991 (NEXs then, From  P Ford and HWB) and 1992 -
I remember discussions at the same time for layer 2 peering points by Tony
Hain, Geoff Huston and others with regards to the east and west fixes.
Yes, this idea has been around for a very long time.

bob

At 10:41 PM 5/26/98 -0500, you wrote:
>> Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 22:02:47 -0500 (CDT)
>> From: Tim Salo <salo at networkcs.com>
>> To: nanog at merit.edu
>> Subject: Re: different thinking on exchanging traffic
>> 	[...]
>> I believe that all four of the winning NSFNET NAP submissions proposed
>> nationwide "NAPs".  I believe that the reason they didn't happen is that
>> the NSF asked for and assumed it would get four geographically-focused
>> solutions.  I suspect that the notion of awarding four NAPs, all of which
>> covered all of the country, provided the NSF a certain amount of heartburn.
>> I believe that the nationwide NAP concept died, (or was killed), at the
>> time for administrative, not technical, reasons.  But, this is all
>> speculation on my part...
>> 	[...]
>
>A presumably well informed observer sent me private e-mail that questioned
>my account.
>
>I read only one of the winning NAP proposals, the one I worked on.  My
>speculation that all of the winning proposals talked about nationwide
>NAPs was based on conversations after the fact, including with authors
>of competing proposals.  So, I believe that all of those who submitted
>winning NAP proposals were thinking about nationwide NAPs, but some may
>not have, based on the e-mail I received, included those thoughts in
>their proposals.
>
>At any rate, my thesis is that the concept of a nationwide layer-two
>solution has been around for several years, at least since the time that
>the NAP proposals were written.  I might add, however, that we are
>collectively still learning about how best to make use of these very
>large layer-two services.
>
>-tjs

Robert J. Aiken  (Bob),   Network Research Mgr,  US DOE / ER-31
aiken at er.doe.gov, 301-903-9960, 301-903-7774 (fax)
Nec Temere, Nec Timide  -  "Neither Rashly or timidly"