Suggestion for improved identD

Manar Hussain manar at ivision.co.uk
Fri May 22 14:39:31 UTC 1998

At 21:01 21/05/98 -0700, Tom Perrine wrote:
>I've been following the "need a better IDENT" thread for a bit, and
>have some questions and suggestions.
>
>Let's see if we can *really* define what it is we really want, and
>figure out if IDENT or "son of IDENT" is really the answer.

I've been following the thread too and there's another desire we have for
something like IDENT which oddly enough we were considering just a few days
ago. We "host domains" for clients for whom we do not provide net access
and where on some occassions their access provider will block mail sent
"from" the domain we host.

E.g. dial up user with provided email "joe at isp.com" get's us to run the
domain "joe.com" and wants to use the email "me at joe.com" but can't then
send his mail through his access provider for whatever reasons.

We then want to help out and allow this user to relay through one of our
servers but sure as hell don't want to run an open mail relay. The best
solution is to have some trigger that joe can initiate/host that let us
know we can aloow mails from a given machine at a given time.

The starting point for this was a hook into the pop server which means that
any machine that successfully picks up mail via pop get's added to a list
with a time stamp - and that the mails server will then refer to this list
and let any such machine send mail (say within 15 minutes).

What we thought would be much nicer is if Joe ran something sort of simple
deamon process which the mail server could query to confirm that he was a
valid user - hence the interest in the thread ...

Manar