SkyTel 2Way pagers DOWN all US

Jay R. Ashworth jra at scfn.thpl.lib.fl.us
Wed May 20 17:13:16 UTC 1998

On Wed, May 20, 1998 at 11:55:01AM -0500, James Rishaw wrote:
> This is totally one for CIWARS and RISKS to go nuts on.
>
> Paging service nationally going nuts? Doctors, emegency things, on-call
> techs, all out of range because one satellite was taken out?

My inference of the architecture is that the local switch feeds
corporate HQ, which sifts the nationwide pages, then forwards the
traffic via the bird _directly to the towers_.  That's the only reason
I can see why the transmitters would go silent from a satellite outage.

If you know for certain either way, email me privately, won't you?
I'll summarize, but I don't think the intricate details belong here..

Cheers,
-- jra
The Suncoast Freenet      "Two words: Darth Doogie."  -- Jason Colby,
Tampa Bay, Florida             on alt.fan.heinlein             +1 813 790 7592

Managing Editor, Top Of The Key sports e-zine ------------ http://www.totk.com