a little thought on exchanging traffic

bob bownes bownesrm at web9.com
Wed May 20 13:51:54 UTC 1998

black at bleep.ishiboo.com wrote:

> Anyone thought about eliminating large physical exchange points and replacing
> them with a more distributed architecture?
>
> Multiple data centers interconnected over ATM in a single metro area run by
> indepdenant entities who are free to provide any level of service or value
> add they wish.
>
> Thoughts?

It sounds alot like the multi-tiered proposal I put forth about 3 years
ago to build local exchanges on top of frame networks in certain cities,
then interconnect cities to regional exchanges, then interconnect the
regional exchanges. That architecture takes advantage of traffic
locality as well as providing a path out for non-local traffic. If the
individual regional exchanges have a small enough number of
participants, they are easier to manage, and should one participant have
alot of traffic going to regional or inter-regional exchange, you simply
install a PVC to there. There is some breakpoint for scaling however...

I think it still would work pretty well on top of Frame, though it is
aimed at the local/regional ISP rather than the nationals.

Bob