renumbering and roaming

Michael Dillon michael at memra.com
Mon May 18 19:43:13 UTC 1998

On Mon, 18 May 1998, Forrest W. Christian wrote:

> I would recommend getting a single /24 allocated (probably from the swamp)
> and reserved for this use, instead of utilizing existing PA space, as
> there may be some situations where you walk on top of an already allocated
> PA space, and by having something not listed in the PA RFC you end up
> getting away from clueless people who utilize PA space.

Yeah. Then 192.0.35/24 would be a good choice. It's in an IANA reserved
block that already has subnets allocated for special purposes such as
192.0.2/24 for use in textbook examples. I picked 35 at random except for
making sure that there are no digits in common with 192.0 because that
makes it easier for people to type in correctly, etc.

> 1)  Have a RFC written which contains the following:

Sounds like you already have a good start on the document. Write it up
according to these guidlines ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1id-guidelines.txt
and http://info.internet.isi.edu:80/in-notes/rfc/files/rfc2223.txt and
then send it to rfc-editor at isi.edu when you are done.

> Now, I realize that we just stepped out of the lines of nanog.   Is there
> an appropriate IETF forum to discuss this in?

Basically the only generic place for this sort of stuff is the ietf
mailing list http://www.ietf.org/maillist.html but you don't need to do
that to get things started.

--
Michael Dillon                 -               Internet & ISP Consulting
Memra Communications Inc.      -               E-mail: michael at memra.com