ARIN allocating /20 netblocks?

Karl Denninger karl at mcs.net
Mon May 18 10:15:22 UTC 1998

On Fri, May 15, 1998 at 09:57:48PM -0700, Chris A. Icide wrote:
> At 08:59 PM 5/15/98 -0400, Kim Hubbard wrote:
> >>
> >> Jeremiah Kristal wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> >> ARIN has made a slight change to make it easier for them to make more
> >> money by allowing anyone to register for IPs.  They will assign a /20 and
> >> reserve the adjacent /20...
> >>

> <snip>
>
> >ARIN just can't win with some people :-)  If we don't change policy, we're
> >evil....if we do, we're greedy.  *sigh*
> >

> If I remember correctly (someone correct me if I'm wrong here), ARIN is a
> Non-profit organization.  This classification generally means something to
> the effect that they can't make more money.
>
> So, if they begin taking in more revenues due to an increased use of thier
> services, they must either spend those revenues, or reduce the price of the
> services.
>
> Of course increased usage might mean that they may have to add more
> hardware/Software/People, etc.
>
> <here is where I may be seriously wrong, however....>
>
> I do believe that members have a say into how this is resolved, by acting
> through one of the governing boards?
>
> -Chris

Read the bylaws.

Then explain how the membership, if it gets upset, removes a Board of
Trustee or Advisory Council member, using the procedure(s) set forth
in the bylaws, if any.

In most corporate structures the members or stockholders (depending on
if we're dealing with a 501c or a for-profit) can fire the members of
the Board - either collectively or individually.

ARIN's bylaws are on the web site http://www.arin.net, and are publically
visible.

Karl Denninger (karl at MCS.Net)| ARIN Advisory Council Member