ARIN allocating /20 netblocks?

Blake Willis blakew at cais.net
Sun May 17 18:52:50 UTC 1998

IMHO every dialup customer, the vast majority of which use Windows 95,
should have their machines set up to get the DNS servers, routing info,
etc. from the terminal server they dial in to.  Change the DNS servers in
the PRI box and you're done.  Nobody notices except people with Un*x boxes
or Trumpet Winsock. I'm not sure if Mac boxes can do this, but Mac users
represent about 5% of our dialup base, so it's not a terribly huge
problem.  Seems a little less disaster prone than every provider on the
net having a nameserver on the same IP in 1918 space, especially those
that don't realize that you're not supposed to announce it and those that
don't filter it...

	-Blake

Blake Willis           					703-448-4470x483
Network Engineer, New Customers				blakew at cais.net
CAIS Internet, a CGX Communications Company