ARIN allocating /20 netblocks?

dannyman djhoward at uiuc.edu
Sun May 17 07:08:41 UTC 1998

On Sat, May 16, 1998 at 11:14:46PM -0700, Michael Dillon wrote:

> I just don't see this as a realistic example of a situation in which a
> renumbering ISP is at a severe business disadvantage. In fact I can't
> remember ever seeing any such realistic example nor do I ever remember
> hearing of a case in which an ISP lost a significant amount of business
> because of renumbering.

I can not speak of experience, but I'd suggest that renumbering would
strain an ISPs "good-will" with customers ... pissing off a large customer
is going to give an ISP a bad look particularly if it is known that other
(larger) ISPs don't need to force such things.  Particularly if an ISP
places its reputation more on technical capability and convenience and less
on its user-friendly demeanor, this could really hurt.  I haven't been
following this issue much, but I think Karl raises what may well be a
relevant point.

--
  //       dannyman yori aiokomete       ||  Our Honored Symbol deserves
\\/ http://www.dannyland.org/~dannyman/  ||  an Honorable Retirement (UIUC)