ARIN allocating /20 netblocks?

Kim Hubbard kimh at arin.net
Sun May 17 14:28:37 UTC 1998

Sean,

> Karl Denninger writes:
>
> | 	Used previous allocation in < 3 months  = Add 2 bits to the size
> | 		(ie: Used a /19 in > 3 months, get a /17 next time)
> |
> | 	Used previous allocation in < 6 months	= Add 1 bit to the size
> | 		(ie: Used a /19 in < 6 months, get a /18 next time)
> |
> | 	Used previous allocation >= 6 months, <= 1 years = Same size
> |
> | 	Used previous allocation >= 1 year = Decrease one bit size UNLESS
> | 		you were at a /19, in which case we give you another /19

> | So we just got Mr. Big on the net - completely - with less than a half-dozen
> | announcements.
>
> This RIPE-like scheme is an extremely good one, and it would
> be a fantastic idea for ARIN to continue evolving towards an
 allocation policy very much like this.

ARIN already allocates addresses this way, although not quite as
aggressively as Karl suggests.  Basically, if you have utilized your
last allocation efficiently within the 3 months your next block will
be doubled up to a /14. In many cases, we allocate addresses from
larger reserved blocks which also addresses the problem.  So, in many
cases, ARIN's allocation procedures are even more aggressive than RIPE's
or Karl's.

Kim

Kim