ARIN allocating /20 netblocks?

Forrest W. Christian forrestc at iMach.com
Sun May 17 08:44:27 UTC 1998

Just like to throw an interesting wrench into this whole discussion.

Our current allocations are a /18 and a /19.

Although we are growing fairly quickly here, we're actually seeing
negative address utilization here.

The reason?

We started to recommend to our larger customers that their
newly-redesigned switched 100Mb/s plus really-flat network might be better
served by the 10/8 or the equivalent /16 and /24 address blocks with a
proxy server.   Better security, less address space utilization.

When a customer who you allocated a /20 to releases it back after
renumbering into one of the 10/8-type blocks it makes a big difference
when your total allocated space is only equivalent to 6 /20's.

Of course, this is only a temporary reduction, as we are adding several
POP's this summer which will consume more than has been reclaimed.

I would be interested if anyone else has seen anything similar.

- Forrest W. Christian (forrestc at imach.com)
iMach, Ltd., P.O. Box 5749, Helena, MT 59604      http://www.imach.com
Solutions for your high-tech problems.                  (406)-442-6648