ARIN allocating /20 netblocks?

Owen DeLong owen at DeLong.SJ.CA.US
Sun May 17 02:51:51 UTC 1998

> > Ok, so I only lose 16 T1 customers instead of 1024.
>
> If you lose 16 T1 customers during a renumbering of a /20, either you
> don't know how to renumber, or they were already unhappy for some
> other reason.
>
> If you tell your customers "You need to renumber because evil forces
> are colluding against us," they won't be very amenable... try
> explaining that they'll get better connectivity.
>
> The social and technical problems of renumbering a /20 are nonzero but
> not large.
>
> I've done it.
> --
> Shields, CrossLink.

Not always.  I know of at least one case where a customer cannot (will not)
renumber out of a /24 because they (without commenting on the intellectual
prowess of this particular act) shipped a million CD's with the .128 IP
address in that class C hard coded into their game.  Sure, it's only one IP,
one machine to renumber, but...

Owen