Zone file access

Jon Lewis jlewis at inorganic5.fdt.net
Sun May 17 00:34:23 UTC 1998

On 15 May 1998, Paul Vixie wrote:

> > > We cannot give you access to our database for all records, other than
> > > what is in our whois database, is confidential and not available to the
> > > public.
>
> Network Solutions has never actually asked me to stop allowing full outbound
> zone transfers

Thanks to Paul, I can now do the scans of the com, net and org domains and
add to my list of projects "cleaning up lame delegations".  It's
unfortunate that NSI wants to control access to this data.  Doing a zone
transfer rather than ftping a gzipped file wasted huge amounts of
bandwith...both mine and Pauls.

$ gzip -l com.zone.gz
compressed  uncompr. ratio uncompressed_name
 47530626 209099660  77.2% com.zone

 Jon Lewis <jlewis at fdt.net>  |  http://noagent.com/?jl1 for cheap
 Network Administrator       |  life insurance over the net.
 Florida Digital Turnpike    |