ARIN allocating /20 netblocks?

Karl Denninger karl at mcs.net
Sat May 16 20:21:45 UTC 1998

On Sat, May 16, 1998 at 04:04:46PM -0400, Jon Lewis wrote:
> On Sat, 16 May 1998, Karl Denninger wrote:
>
> > You should not have had the original problem (IMHO of course).
>
> How do you mean?
>
> > Consider, Jon, what happens if you fail to meet the criteria to keep that
> > whole /19 - some time down the road.
>
> I can see that being a serious concern for really small ISPs getting a /20
> from a reserved /19 if they only currently utilize a /21 and have to fill
> the /19 in 18 months.  We had 2 UUNet /20's to renumber out of.  Filling
> the reserved /19 won't be a problem...I just need to file the paperwork to
> get the top half of the /19 officially allocated.

Why do you need to renumber out of previous space if MCI doesn't have to
when they get a bigger block handed to them?

Why should your *customers* bear the burden of this policy?

My point: you shouldn't, and your customer's shouldn't.  You should, as a
multi-homed ISP, be able to get a /19 immediately and without obstruction -
period.

Karl Denninger (karl at MCS.Net)| MCSNet - Serving Chicagoland and Wisconsin
http://www.mcs.net/          | T1's from $600 monthly / All Lines K56Flex/DOV