1.1.1.0/24

Michael Dillon michael at memra.com
Fri May 15 00:52:16 UTC 1998

On Thu, 14 May 1998, Sean Donelan wrote:

> >One item that is currently before the ARIN Advisory Council is a
> >suggestion that we publish a map of all currently allocated IP space and
> >keep that map up to date.

> You mean like
> ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/ipv4-address-space
> ????

Sort of, but more detailled and including sub-allocations and accessible
via the whois protocol. For instance, the IANA list shows 61/8 as
allocated to APNIC but since they are a registry they are carving it up
into smaller blocks. For filtering purposes, 3/8 and 61/8 are quite
different.

> One which may be usefull is registering the 'unassigned' IANA blocks
> in the IRR with a special AS number (e.g. AS0 or AS65535) so people can
> use the RtConfig tools to create filters by exception (e.g. NOT AS0)
> But there is already so much junk like 0.0.0.0/1 in there already, I
> hesitate doing it.

If ARIN sets up their own database then it should be possible to make it
usable by RtConfig tools if there is a demand for that.

--
Michael Dillon                 -               Internet & ISP Consulting
Memra Communications Inc.      -               E-mail: michael at memra.com