1.1.1.0/24

Jeremy Porter jerry at freeside.fc.net
Thu May 14 22:14:17 UTC 1998

In message <3.0.5.32.19980514130721.008d8e30 at norfolk.infi.net>, Dean Robb write
s:
>At 01:50 5/14/98 -0700, you wrote:
>>
>>Rather than whining about the "powers that be" and pointing out how the
>>system is broken, why not propose a solution that these so-called "powers"
>>could implement to solve the problem. IANA and ARIN and RIPE and APNIC are
>>composed of some very ordinary yet clueful Internet folks that are capable
>>of recognizing a good idea when it is explained to them.
>
>OK, Good Idea People...here's one.
>
>The ARIN WhoIs database contains many false entries, as does InterNIC's.
>The proposal made to InterNIC (which was ignored in so many words) was that
>when we users notice a bogus entry, we notify the registrar who contacts
>the registration owner for a correction or, if it's a blatant
>falsification, deletes the entry.
>      Warmington, Drew  (DW5183-ARIN)  nomailbox at NOWHERE
>      7149661345 (FAX) 714-263-9260
>Kindly note that the email address doesn't even have a TLD.  Hard to
>consider it valid, what?
>
>As a side note, why not modify your software so that things like this are
>rejected?  It shouldn't be all that hard to make sure that the email
>address at least has the required components.

I think it would be a reasonable proposal for ARIN to modify
its SWIP process to do a dnslookup for the email domain to very
it as valid.  Possibly even a SMTP VRFY or EXPN command.

However there are some companies that feel that their customer
data is confidential, and refuse to reveal it.  (Also if they
use rwhois fixing swip won't solve the problem completely.)

Right now, I haven't seen any input from ARIN members indicating this
is somethign desire.  I don't see raising the issue to the advisory council
unless the ARIN membership desires this.  (If your not an ARIN member
then your opinion may not have any weight with the AC.)
I think its a reasonable idea, but I'm not inclined to go against the
wishes of the membership.

---
Jeremy Porter, Freeside Communications, Inc.      jerry at fc.net
PO BOX 80315 Austin, Tx 78708  | 512-458-9810
http://www.fc.net