Possible login/password grabbing ploy

Christopher Caldwell cdc at groupz.net
Wed May 13 13:29:43 UTC 1998

We went through the same thing with them.  The instructions at
rs.internic.net are incorrect (at last viewing)

http://rs.internic.net/announcements/97/97003.html -> NSI bulletin 097-003
| Zone file access and ftp://rs.internic.net/domain/README say send an
e-mail to hostmaster at internic.net.  This is not correct.  You must send an
e-mail to zones at internic.net with the information requested in the
bulletin.  I told them about this error back in mid-February.

Moreover, they weren't granting access to anyone for awhile (thanks for
telling us); apparently, they weren't comfortable with some aspect of the
access process.  After a month or two of waiting, they granted me access.

Meanwhile, I called them and got them to run a database dump of each of my
NS hosts, and I used the dump to check for lame delegations.  The database
dump doesn't have the 256 host limit.

It turns out that the database dump is actually more useful than the zone
file access.  It would be really nice if they'd 1) do away with the 256
host limit, and/or 2) provide an interface to the database that would allow
you to check the data on your hosts.

-C

<SNIP>